What is the USI and do I need one?
All new and continuing students require a USI (Unique Student Identifier) before registering or applying for a course with TAFE NSW from January 1, 2015.
Your enrolment isn't complete without it. And you'll need it to graduate and to collect your results.
A USI is effectively a reference number made up of numbers and letters that gives you access to your USI account.
The USI will stay with you for life and will be recorded with any nationally recognised Vocational Education and Training course that is undertaken from January 2015.
How do I get a USI?
To create your USI, simply follow the steps on the USI website. It’s quick and free to create.
Don't forget to select TAFE NSW as your preferred RTO during the process.
Before you get started, make sure you have one form of ID ready. Examples of acceptable forms of ID:
- Current Driver’s Licence
- Medicare Card
- Australian Passport
- Visa (with non-Australian Passport) for international students
- Birth Certificate (Australian) *please note a Birth Certificate extract is not sufficient
- Certificate of Registration by Descent
- Citizenship Certificate
If you have already started studying with TAFE NSW in 2016 and don't have your USI, you need to get one created.
- Step 1 - Create a USI at www.usi.gov.au
- Step 2 - Login and select TAFE NSW as your preferred RTO
- Step 3 - Pass your details on to our Customer Service team so that can register it against your name
You can do so by:
- Calling 131 601
- Visiting your local TAFE NSW location Customer Service Centre
- Visiting your local TAFE NSW Library